My Top Tips for Starting University | Halls, Freshers, Societies & Homesickness

Hello you lovely lot, hope you are all well.

As September has fast approached, I'm sure many of you are kicking back into things - whether that be work, school, college or university it's always a busy time of year. 

Speaking of University, this time last year I would have been heading back to uni myself, however, having graduated 2 months ago, unfortunately I won't be going back this year and that makes me SO sad. But, what I thought would be super duper useful is to share my own knowledge and experience about STARTING university. Let's say my 'go too top tips', from freshers, halls, making friends and joining societies. 


Don't get me wrong - starting University is a very nerve racking and a daunting time that may push you out of your comfort zone, BUT, the biggest thing to remember is that everyone is also in the same boat. It is a lot of change, and especially if you are moving away from home, however, once you have eventually settled and grown connections with your house mates, course mates and society friends - you'll enjoy every second. I have made some friends for life from University, and it's lovely to take some of those friendships back home with me.


#1: Embrace your Halls & House Mates

My NUMBER 1 top tip is to make the most of every second and opportunity whilst your at Uni, and especially within the first couple of months. You will have to push yourself out your comfort zone, and it can always be a little awkward when you first 'make friends' with your new house/flat mates, BUT,  don't be that person that hides themselves in there room. Go out with your house mates, do food shops together and do/have flat dinner's/takeaways together (I made all my flat a curry and luckily didn't give them food poisoning lol). As you'll be spending a lot of time together, you'll eventually get to know them a little better. Just remember that you won't necessarily get on with everyone in your flat. Sometimes that's just the way it is, especially if you are sharing a flat/house with a big sum of people.

In terms of making your halls more 'homely', the biggest recommendation of mine are FAIRY LIGHTS and a TONNE OF PHOTOS. Even if your halls aren't the most amazing halls in the world, I'm sure that a few little bits like lights and photos will make such a difference. Either way, halls for me was a really great way of meeting people and making friends as everyone was within the same vicinity, I also lived with a few of them in my second and third year of University! 


#2: Make the most of Fresher's, but avoid Fresher's Flu!

Fresher's was DEFINITELY a highlight of Uni for me. If your University are holding events at your Student Union or within your City Centre/Town Centre, then I definitely recommend on going before your course kicks in. Fresher's provides you with a really great opportunity of getting to know your house/flat mates more, but it also gives you the chance of getting to know your surroundings if you are in a new city/town. 

Some Universities provide Facebook groups which gives you the chance to connect/meet your housemates beforehand, and if that is the case, I'd advise that you ask what events your housemates might also be going too (just so that you are also going to the same ones together!). The only thing that I will say is to 'try' and avoid Fresher's Flu if you can. It's awful. From my recollection, I was ill about 3/4 times within the first couple months. So make sure you bring plenty of medicine/tablets with you beforehand. You have been warned!

#3: Go to all the Societies & Freshers Fayre's & Join a Society!

My third tip whilst you settle into University life, is to make sure that you go to all the societies/fresher's fayre's that your uni provides. I HIGHLY recommend going. Even if you aren't keen on joining a society, it's a good insight to see what your University provides, and you might even see something that surprises you. My University provided a tonne of societies, from sports clubs, film societies, baking societies, charity work, volunteering AND even a Harry Potter society (I know right - who'd have thought it).

Even, say, if you are struggling to get on with your house mates (the worst case scenario), joining a society is a great way of making friends as you already share a similar interest and/or passion in something. I joined the Netball Club at my University, and was apart of the club for 3 years. I absolutely loved it, made some great friends and felt like it made such a difference to my overall University experience. Not only this, I joined my University's lifestyle magazine as a contributing writer. This was something completely new to me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thrived on trying out something new. So, just give it a go!



#4: How to deal with being Home Sick 

Although whilst at University I encountered some great experiences, it can sometimes be overwhelming - and especially when you're just starting university, and even so when you're living away from home. After a rollercoaster ride of Fresher's events and settling into your halls, I found that once my course kicked in (and the work load), I did suffer a fair bit with home sickness. I've definitely concluded that I'm not the greatest person with change!

However, if you are feeling home sick, it's probably quite likely that some of your house mates are also too. If this is the case, speak to your house mates about it - it made me feel so much better knowing that some of my friends were feeling the same. It is an adjustment starting up (basically) a new life in a new City/Town and having to do 'adulty' tasks, so, we tended to do these tasks together so that we didn't feel that we had to deal with all these new issues alone. We went food shopping together, to the library together and doing our weekly washes together. It really helped us.

Nonetheless, FaceTime was SUCH a life saver for me. Whenever I was missing my family, being able to FaceTime/Skype them felt like they weren't as far away as they were. If I felt home sick, it was nice knowing that I could just FaceTime and catch up wth them for hours (and also I got to see my dog at the time haha). 

Lastly, if you really do need a break and aren't too far away from home - go home for the weekend, catch up with your family and come back feeling a little more refreshed. University can be very full on at points, and a lot to take in, so having a little breather away from the 'uni bubble' (as my friends and I used to call it) was very beneficial.

And there we have it, my top University tips if you are starting/about to start, or if are in the midst of your University adventure. I hope these come in useful to you, and to those starting I wish you all the best of luck. If there is anything you can take from this is that you should make the most of every experience and opportunity given to you.

Please let me know if you want more uni related content!

See you soon in another blog,

Chloe 

xoxo







Comments

Popular Posts